This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalize ads and to analyze traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies. TO LEARN MORE GO HERE https://www.google.com/policies/technologies/cookies/

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Searching for "I" -- A Genealogy Story Share






Awhile ago I was searching through a german website postings on something arranged alphabetical. You know when you visit these sites it takes twice as long because you have to get the small translations from an exterior website just to manage through their sites. Unless your basically familiar with the commonly used german terms for online sites.

Well any way a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h and I had maybe started with " k" or and was skipping and then I was at 'J' and going backward. I kept getting 'H'. Ohhhhhff where is "I" .What am I doing wrong, [sigh] lets see.... I'll try it again. And then came to the Duh moment. Oh yeah, " I" is the same as 'J'. It was not in the alphabet all alone. Especially, when your transcribing the old church records, I should have known that.
It is up to you to decide if it is a' J' or an 'I' in what you are translating. Such as is it Isabel or Jesebel? [Or is it Isable, Or Jeseble?]

Sure that was a special site, and you will often find lists under 'I' as well as 'J' in most cases. I just had a little reminder, that's all, which I thought I'd share today.

When you wake up, maybe you'll like to read my next post about an encounter at another German site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

Copyright©2008-2024 A Rootdigger. All rights reserved. Do not remove without permission. Contact me please. We can work it out.